Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Container Garden Recipes and Hardiness Zones

For those of you interested in creating container gardens for your outdoor spaces, this website is a great resource. It offers container garden "recipes" that are very pretty. They have taken all of the guess work out of creating a container garden for any area (full sun, shade, or sun and shade). They offer a  list of plants to buy, what kind of container to use, and where to plant each plant in the container for the best effect. 

Here it is: http://www.simplybeautifulgardens.com/containers.aspx

Also, gardeners must know which hardiness zone you live in so that you plant plants that are appropriate to that zone. For example, North Georgia is in hardiness zones 7a - 7b while and Middle Georgia are in hardiness zones 8a - 8b. If you look on the tag of the plant at the home improvement store, it should say which zone the plant is best suited for. Here is a website which contains a map of all the hardiness zones in the U.S. Plants grow best in their appropriate hardiness zone. Here is a website which details all of the hardiness zones in the U.S. - http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

Happy container gardening!

9 comments:

  1. This isn't technically patio, but what are some good plants to have inside? I would like a little greenery or flowers in my room, but I don't know what would do best inside! Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several indoor plants. Some suggestions are Dunbcane, Christmas cactus, Aluminum plant, Nephtytis, Caladium, Jade, Benjamin Fig Ficus, herbs, and various types of ferns. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. My wife and I planted tomatoes, herbs, and okra this year in pots for the first time. We decided to try one bush tomato plant and one regular kind. So far everything is doing great. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, John! I would like to know which tomato plant does better. I hope you planted the okra in a big pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you suggest any indoor plants that will bring in some color? My apartment is kind of bland and I really want to bring some flowers in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. African violets and orchids both boast beautiful flowers as well as pretty foliage when the plant is not in bloom. Orchids are a little more delicate and difficult to take care of but with a little research I know you can do it. I'll research orchid care and post a blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate - Do you have any idea how big a pot I need for my okra plant. The one it's in now isn't pretty small? John

    ReplyDelete
  8. It needs to be pretty big, maybe 5-10 gallons.

    ReplyDelete