Monday, May 18, 2009

Pictures of Tomato Plants, Container Garden, and Perrenials

This is a picture of my tomato plants and container garden. In the container garden, the burgandy and lime green foliage plants at the very back is the Alabama Sunset Coleus. The orange flowers on the left of the pot are the Profustion Zinnia. The yellow flowers on the right of the pot are Duranta. The white flowers in the center/middle are Vinca. The white/greyish foliage in the front of the planter is Dusty Miller.

The tomato plants are in the pots on the right of the picture. The pots (they seem smaller in the picture) are about 5 gallon pots. I put two "Better Boy" tomato plants in each pot. I even have 5 little green tomatoes growing on my bushes. You cannot tell from the picture, but I had to put metal wire cages around my tomato plants to support them as they grow.



These are my perennial cone flowers. The one's in the far left back pot with the fuzzy, rounded leaves are rudibekia, the yellow cone flower. The slick, pointed-leaved plants in the center, front pot and the small pot on the left are echinacea magnus, the pink coneflower. These will eventually grow too big for these pots and will need to be transferred to the ground or bigger pots. The tall plant on the far right is Phlox and will need to be divided and planted in the ground or in larger pots when the plants get big.

All supplies, such as pots, saucers, plants, and cages, can be purchased at a local home improvement stores.

10 comments:

  1. Your plants are so growthy! You must be fertilizing, if so what kind of fertiizer are you using and how do you apply it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm applying 1 tsp. of 10-20-10 in a one gallon jug once a week. I'm researching other fertilizers and application ways and will post something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to start a tomato plant! I know it's too late for this year, but maybe next spring! When is the best time to plant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (The last anonymous comment/question was from Sally.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally,

    If you're going to buy a foot tall tomato plant from a home improvement you should plant them either in the ground or in a large pot after what is predicted to be the last frost. Tomato plants are pretty hardy so they can withstand about 45 degree night temps as long as it doesn't freeze. I planted mine at in late March. Hope you have luck next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've planted two cherry tomato plants in pots with basil around the bottom. They are doing great now, but I know I need to fertilize soon. I'll follow your suggestion about fertilizer. Thanks for the info.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the process of getting an e-mail interview with my former Horticulture teacher on the topic of fertilizer. He should offer some sound advice also. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just planted my first tomatoe plants in pots. I have no idea how to cage and/or stake them. Any suggestions? websites to view how to? or pictures how to do same? Thanks! - Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy,

    The best and easiest method to stake your plants is to go to a home improvement store and purchase cages. They look like a rolled up metal fence - kind of triangular shaped. Then you simply stick the cage around the plants. You can manover the plant to wind around the cage as it grows. I'll try to take a closer picture of mine so you can see how it looks finished. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my tomatoe plant has big leaves at the bottom that are now turning yellow. It was healthy last week??? Its a patio plant.

    ReplyDelete