Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why Start a Patio Garden?

I love flowers. From childhood, going to the home improvement store with my mother and picking out plants for our yard was exciting. The colors and shapes were amazing to me and I couldn't get enough. I loved planting, too. I would rather be outside digging in the dirt than almost anything else. 

When I moved out of my parents' home into an apartment, I longed to beautify our bland patio and stoop, but with limited funds I couldn't. However, as an agricultural education major, I was required to take a greenhouse management class. We were responsible for growing bedding plants for a plant sale at the end of the year. It was a lot of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

After the plant sale, the students in my class and myself split up the  remaining plants. I took many home to my parents for their yard, but I kept a few for myself to help me fulfill my dream of creating a container garden on my apartment patio.

With this blog I will explain the process of maintaining my container gardens and hopefully inspire other who have limited yard space to create their own patio paradises!  

8 comments:

  1. What are you growing? I need suggestions for my patio garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post a list of the plants I'm growing tomorrow. I'm new at this so I'm growing things that are hard to kill. Hope you have luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if my patio only gets some morning sun? what should i plant? ... all my plants keep dying on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some plants that do well in part-shade are boston ferns, begonias, impatiens (regular impatiens or double fiesta impatiens, both), hosta, and hellabores. Everything I listed will flower except for the fern. I have a fern in part-shade and It's thriving. If plants are only receiving part-shade, their soil shouldn't dry out as quickly and they won't need watering as frequently. Make sure that the top layer of the soil is completely dry before watering again. Believe it or not, overwatering will kill a plant as quickly as not watering. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, do you hate the fake plants that a lot of ppl have in their homes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I do. It is so easy to grow a real plant and indoor plants do so much good inside the home by purifying the air. And fake plants are ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to hang ferns around my back porch which receives mostly shade. What type of fern should I choose?

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, I think Boston Ferns would be the best option for your mostly shady back porch. They thrive in shade and will provide the look I think you're going for.

    ReplyDelete