Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How to Pot Plants

Potting your new plants may seem self explanitory, but I would like to suggest a method that has worked for me for those of you who may not know how.

Step 1: Gently remove plants from plastic packs that come in by squeezing the plastic container and gently pulling on the base of the plant.

Step 2: Fill new container about 1/2 - 3/4 full with potting soil.

Step 3: Gently break up root ball of plant by pulling apart slightly at the base of root ball.

Step 4: Place plant in new pot and fill pot up the rest of the way with potting soil.

Step 5: Press soil down gently around base of the plant.

Step 6: Water plant until soil is fully moist, but not drenched.

Step 7: Spinkle about a tablespoon of slow-release fertilizer, like osmocote, around the soil.

7 comments:

  1. How often do you water after the initial planting? Do you continue to use dry fertilizer around the soil or do you use fertilizer disolved in water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. That questions about fertilizer was from "Kathy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only water when the top layer of the soil is completely dry. Like I have said before, overwatering is the major cause of death in plants so, it's important to let the soil dry in between waterings. I do still sprinkle slow release fertilizer about once every two weeks around the plant and then use fertilizer dissolved in water about once every two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably the dumbest plant question ever--are there any vegetables that are perennials? My mom re-buys heritage tomato plants each spring to plant in our backyard but I think it would be awesome if there were varieties that came back every year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dallas, That's a great question! I'll look into that and get back to you. I don't know of any off the top of my head though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips! I recently decided to put plants on my patio. Just because I don't have a backyard doesn't mean I can't have a pretty garden, right? I will keep your advice in mind next time I plant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad my advice helps! Let me know if I can answer any more questions you might have!

    ReplyDelete